New Year, New Revelation

I know it has been a few months and I am super delayed in publishing this blog... but I still felt it was important to share this revelation I had about New Years, regardless of how late I got to posting this.  I hope you enjoy reading about what I've learned about myself through 2019 and what hope to take into the new year and decade. 


We made it through another year and have also entered into a new DECADE! How crazy is that? I find the older I get, the faster time goes and that is a scary thought for me.  It really puts into perspective how short life truly is and how much we need to cherish every moment that we experience in life. 


The year 2019 was a year where I found myself working towards healing my mental health... it was my priority and it felt like (still feels like) a struggle a lot of the time. My mental health is an important goal, but in 2019 I found myself so fixated on it that I couldn't see anything outside of it.  Being mindful of my anxiety is a catch 22 because it means I can pinpoint and figure out why I am experiencing it, but it also means I can feel every inch of it which is super exhausting.  Rather than focusing on the positive moments, I found myself focusing on the days I couldn't get myself out of bed, the days I felt like my anxiety was making my go out of mind and the days I felt guilty for not being able to go into work due to my mental health.  The focus I had on my mental health deterred me from being able to cherish the amazing moments that I experienced throughout the year.


It took me until the end of 2019... New Year's Eve, to realize that I actually had an amazing year filled with so many great experiences and memories with my family and my friends.  I traveled, I went to concerts, I went to events and celebrated with my family and friends and I did not appreciate these moments enough in the moment which is something I feel great remorse about.  Instead, I allowed my anxiety to overpower and define my 2019.  I wish I had the insight to appreciate these memories in the moment more so than I had at the time; however, this has given me a great opportunity to learn from my own personal struggle. 


The great thing about the New Year is that it allows me to reflect on my year... and without this reflection, I would not have had this revelation.  I would not have realized that I let my anxiety overpower all of my good memories that I experienced throughout the year.  Without this realization, I wouldn't be able to make the changes necessary to prevent this from happening again moving forward.  Personally, I do not set resolutions, but I do set goals as I see fit at any time throughout the year.  This revelation is the stepping stone to ensuring that I appreciate every moment that I have in life and to not take them for granted.  This isn't to say that it will be a difficult task... life is still a struggle, but I will need to learn to navigate those struggles, learn from them and remind myself to appreciate the positive moments in life.


So what's my goal? It's reminding myself that I am MORE than just my anxiety and that I am allowed to appreciate all the good moments in my life.  In fact, I will MORE THAN appreciate it... I will complete relish in all the positive's aspects surrounding me in every moment!


Do you set New Years resolutions? Did you wish you had done something different in 2019? What did you learned and what have you taken moving forward into this new decade?
-Lincoln City, Oregon-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perceptions

Relationship Realness

Rediscovering My Identity