Riding the Wave of Mental Health

I am about to get really real about mental health y'all.  Because I am currently feeling a "low", it is giving me the inspiration to talk about my frustrations with my own mental health.  This blog might feel like a bit of a vent session, but it is also a reality of mine and many others' lives.

Some days I wake up feeling fresh, energized and with clarity.  Other days, like today, I wake up feeling lethargic and with a very flat and low mood.  There are days when something is going on in my life and I have an explanation as to why I am feeling low; however, there are also days when I have no explanation at all.  This is mental health... sometimes it has rhyme and reason and other times it does not.  

Today I woke up feeling tired, flat and kind of sad... but not really sad? It's hard to explain.  Anyways, these feelings made me want to stay in the comfort of my own bed for the rest of the day.  This is what happens when I'm feeling low, for some reason I just want to stay curled up in my blankets in bed and not want to leave.  It all depends on how bad my mental health is if I will myself up to get on with my daily activities or not.  I am proud to say that that I got out of bed today, even it was at 11am.  I not only got out of bed, but I threw some chicken in a crockpot and got in a workout! Even though I did these things, I still feel flat in my mood and want to lay around and not do anything.  I have no explanation for this, and can't even begin to tell you how frustrating it is for me.  Mental health is unpredictable at times, and can drag a person down to feel... hopeless.  


Ok ok, I know - this sounds really sad and tragic.  And in some ways, it is but only if we allow it to be that way.  I am trying my hardest to not let my mental health take control of me.  I want to be the one that controls my own mental health.  Some days my mental health will win, and other days I will win.  It's sort of like life, you know - you win some you lose some, but what matters the most is the outlook you have about it.  

My outlook on how I am feeling today is that I will get through it.  I will ride this weird wave of non-emotion and get through to tomorrow.  Tomorrow will be a better day, and even if it is not - that's okay because I will still continue to ride the wave.  I refuse to let my mental health get the best of me.

I know there are many people struggling with mental health, which is why we need to bring more awareness to it.  Mental health issues are not seen to the naked eye and although someone may "look" okay, it doesn't always mean that they are.  The best thing you can do is be kind to everyone you see because you never know what their personal struggle is.  

To those struggling... know that you are not alone and there is help out there.  Whether that help is the support of your family and friends, a counsellor/psychologist or community resources - there is no shame in asking for help, so please do! I personally keep an open dialogue about my mental health with my family and friends, and see a psychologist once a month.  To say my mental health has improved over the last year is an understatement and I am so grateful to all these people in my life who have supported me through it. 

With that, I will leave you with one of my favourite quotes: 

"through every dark night, there is a brighter day"   
-Admiralty Point - Burnaby, BC-






   







  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perceptions

Relationship Realness

Rediscovering My Identity